The Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific adopted the revised statute of the Asian and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology at its Seventy-Second session held in Bangkok during May2016. The revised Statute is appended below:
- The Asian and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (hereinafter referred to as “the Centre” or “APCTT”), established on 16 July 1977 pursuant to Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific resolutions 159 (XXXI) of 6 March 1975 and 164 (XXXII) of 31 March 1976, shall continue in existence under the terms of the present statute.
- The membership of APCTT is identical to the membership of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (hereinafter referred to as “ESCAP” or “the Commission”).
- APCTT has the status of a subsidiary body of ESCAP.
- The objectives of the Centre are to assist the members and associate members of ESCAP through strengthening their capabilities to develop and manage national innovation systems; develop, transfer, adapt and apply technology; improve the terms of transfer of technology; and identify and promote the development and transfer of technologies relevant to the region.
- The Centre will achieve the above objective by undertaking such functions as:
- Research and analysis of trends, conditions and opportunities;
- Advisory services;
- Dissemination of information and good practices;
- Networking and partnership with international organizations and key stakeholders;
- Training of national personnel, particularly national scientists and policy analysts.
Status and organization
- The Centre shall have a Governing Council (hereinafter referred to as “The Council”), a Director and staff.
- The Centre is located in New Delhi.
- The Centre’s activities shall be in line with relevant policy decisions adopted by the General Assembly, the Economic and Social Council and the Commission. The Centre shall be subject to the Financial and Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and the applicable administrative instructions.
- The Centre shall have a Governing Council consisting of a representative designated by the Government of India and no fewer than eight representatives nominated by other members and associate members of ESCAP elected by the Commission. The members and associate members elected by the Commission shall be elected for a period of three years but shall be eligible for re-election. The Executive Secretary or his/her representative shall attend meetings of the Council.
- The Director of the Centre shall serve as Secretary of the Council.
- Representatives of (a) States that are not members of the Council, (b) United Nations bodies and specialized and related agencies and (c) such other organizations as the Council may deem appropriate, as well as experts in fields of interest to the Council, may be invited by the Executive Secretary to attend meetings of the Council.
- The Council shall meet at least once a year and may adopt its own rules of procedure. Sessions of the Council shall be convened by the Executive Secretary of ESCAP, who may propose special sessions of the Council at his/her own initiative and shall convene such special sessions at the request of a majority of Council members.
- A quorum for meetings of the Council shall be a majority of its members.
- Each member of the Council shall have one vote. Decisions and recommendations of the Council shall be made by consensus or, where this is not possible, by a majority of the members present and voting.
- The Council shall, at each regular session, elect a Chair and Vice-Chair. They shall hold office until the next regular session of the Council. The Chair or, in his/her absence, the Vice-Chair shall preside at meetings of the Council. If the Chair is unable to serve for the full term for which he/she has been elected, the Vice-Chair shall act as Chair for the remainder of that term.
- The Council shall advise on the formulation and implementation of the programme of work of the Centre and review the administration and financial status of the Centre. The Executive Secretary shall submit an annual report, as adapted by the Council, to the Commission at its annual sessions.
Director and staff
- The Centre shall have a Director and staff, who shall be ESCAP staff members appointed under the appropriate United Nations regulations, rules and administrative instructions. The Director shall be appointed in a manner consistent with United Nations regulations and rules. The Council will be invited to nominate candidates for the position of Director, once the vacancy is announced, and provide, as appropriate. Other members and associate members of the Commission may also submit nominations for the post.
- The Director shall be responsible to the Executive Secretary of ESCAP for the administration of the Centre and the implementation of its programme of work.
Resources of the Centre
- The Centre shall strive towards a funding structure that is primarily dependent on extrabudgetary resources.
- All members and associate members of ESCAP should be encouraged to make a regular annual contribution on a voluntary basis to the operations of the Centre. The United Nations shall administer a joint contribution trust fund in which those contributions shall be deposited.
- The Centre will endeavour to mobilize sufficient resources to support its activities.
- The United Nations shall maintain separate trust funds for voluntary contributions for technical cooperation projects or other extraordinary voluntary contributions for activities of the Centre.
- The financial resources of the Centre shall be administered in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the United Nations.
- Amendments to the present statute shall be adopted by the Commission.
Matters not covered by the present statute
- In the event of any procedural matter arising that is not covered by the present statute or rules of procedure adopted by the Governing Council under paragraph 12 of this statute, the pertinent part of the rules of procedure of the Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific shall apply.
Entry into force
- The present statute shall enter into force on the date of its adoption by the Commission.