Air pollution is one of the critical challenges affecting the health and wellbeing of people, particularly in cities. The Asia-Pacific region alone accounts for about 70 per cent of deaths globally due to air pollution and has recorded some of the highest air pollution levels in recent times. It is also a major transboundary environmental challenge that threatens all countries in the region. Recognizing the need to improve air quality for protecting human health, member States strive to reduce air pollution through various ways such as technology interventions for source-reduction of pollutants, enabling policy measures, regulations, and incentives. Countries are adopting action plans to control air pollution, but more needs to be done to address multiple challenges.
Towards strengthening the capacity of member States, the Asian and Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology (APCTT) of ESCAP is implementing a project titled “Enhanced capabilities to adopt innovative technologies for city air pollution control in select countries of the Asia-Pacific”. The project aims to strengthen the capacity of city officials and stakeholders through
- improved availability of knowledge regarding innovative technologies and good practices,
- better understanding of technology needs and gaps, and
- enhanced capacity to strengthen action plans for adoption of innovative technologies
to control air pollution in a few target countries (Bangladesh, India and Thailand) of the region.
Through assessments and multi-stakeholder consultations, the project will facilitate development of recommendations to strengthen city level action plans for adoption of innovative technologies. The experience and outcomes of the project will be shared with stakeholders from other member States for wider dissemination and adoption.
List of Events:
- Study Tour on Innovative Technologies and Good Practices for Air Pollution Control for City Officials of Bangladesh, India, and Thailand, 18 - 21 September 2023, Incheon & Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- TISTR International Conference on Air Pollutions, Perspective, Prediction, Prevention and Control, 31 August (Virtual)
- Stakeholders Meeting of KECF project on Air Pollution Control (Gurugram, India), 7 June 2023, New Delhi, India
- KECF Project Air Pollution Control Inception Meeting, 25 April 2023, Bangkok, Thailand
- Technical Consultation Meeting on Air Pollution Control Studies in Dhaka City, 27 March 2023 (Virtual)
- Compendium of Technologies for Air Pollution Control
- Comparative Analysis of Air Pollution Control Technologies and Policies in Three Asian Cities - Bangkok, Dhaka and Gurugram
- Technological interventions and gaps in Air Pollution Control in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- City Action Plans and Technology Adoption Strategies in Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Technological interventions and gaps in Air Pollution Control in Gurugram, India
- City Action Plans and Technology Adoption Strategies in Gurugram, India
- Technological interventions and gaps in Air Pollution Control in Bangkok, Thailand
- City Action Plans and Technology Adoption Strategies in Bangkok, Thailand
- Final Project Report